Saturday, April 06, 2013

On the Road: A 20 Hour Tour from Sarasota to Millville

Good morning it is 5 AM Saturday, April 6 we are driving all the way through!!
I wake up this morning and see that my friends from Maine have permanently called off their wedding!! Oh WOW! The drama! I guess the same stuff that happened last Summer and Fall just repeated itself!
I just did skinny-dipping to wake myself up in Ned and Linda's wading pool. We are in for a long road trip from Sarasota back to Millville then I will go back to Philadelphia. Its a nice cool morning here in Sarasota and I can hear Linda putting all the dishes away so I have to get dressed and get ready and get

Packed and Ready to Go
permanently packed. Good day!

Okay we are on I-4 near wonderful town Polk City near Florida route 559. It's a beautiful sunny day Ned he's driving till Jacksonville then i drive to
Rocky Mount NC. Now I'm reading Facebook..
Gonna drive to GA. Then I will drive again when it gets dark. We are 40 miles from Daytona beach. Had a sausage McMuffin and a large coke! Off to Jacksnville!
Just entered Georgia. We got a snack and put 15 gallon in the Explorer. it is Sunny and 69 degrees. It's Confederate History Month for April. Oh yay!
I drove most of Florida. Linda really wanted to drive. She will drive till she tires or when it gets dark. We will be in Millville by 2pm tomorrow.
Shitty Traffic in GA. 30 miles South of Savannah! Sucks. I have been texting w a friend who's wedding was called off,
I got Pandora on and chillin . Sign says heaven traffic to South Carolina. Of course, after passing the sign, we are back at 70 MPH. Go figure .

Rest Stop in SC off of I-9

Man I-95 traffic was sucking for 20 miles near Savannah GA. We found out that there was a minor accident about 156 miles South of Florence NC. We are now starting to move again. Ned is driving now and it's 3:20 PM. According to the GPS, we should arrive in Millville at 2:28 PM tomorrow. We lost at least 1 Hr and 30 Min.
Now we have more jams here on I-95 and we just listened to Mike Huckabee in NC talking to Jim DeMint who now leads the Heritage Foundation. They came up with the model for Obamacare and Mitt Romney's health care plan in Mass.
Time for a nap!!
Well Linda is driving nowThis is I-95,Can you believe it. It looks like a podunk road in New Jersey!! We are 101 miles South of Florence South Carolina. The sky is crystal clear and we took a quick pit stop at a Burger King. They had a veggie burger that one of us was hungry for.
It's now going on 5 pm.
I-95 in South Carolina 4pm


Went to south of the border. Battery dying 7:02.
I just remembered that my portable charger has a cigarette lighter attachment and I can charge up my phone! I also figured out how to change the location and size. I am updating the blog until I have to drive. I hope to update when I go to a rest stop before midnight

I am not back in Philly till Sunday since I am driving w folks who live in Millville. The latest estimate on my friends GPS Is to arrive in Millville at 3:13 Am.
I will crash at their place, then take the 408 to Philly around 11 or so.
North Carolina

This map shows our current route.. It got dark when we entered North Carolina. We may switch drivers at Rocky Mount NC. Then again both of my friends seem very determined to drive. So far I just drove Orlando to The Georgia border. When we get to Rocky iyMount we will be about 40 miles from Virginia. I suppose I will drive at a rest stop tyyin Virginia. We have 259 miles left in the gas tank. Currently we are near Raleigh NC. I will Facebook then take a nap.
.

The GPS

I am just sleeping. The fact that I can
drive makes my friends more determine to drive. We are just entering Virginia now.
A rest stop will occur when we get into WAWA territory. That will be in about an hour. It's about 9:30 PM and we are heading towards Norfolk Va.

In the Back Seat 

It's 9:35 pm and this is where I sat though Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and Virginia  160 miles due South of Washington DC. We stopped at the Southernmost WAWA near I-95 if not the entire East Coast. Its located in Petersburg Virginia. After we got our provisions, It was my turn to drive from Petersburg Va. It  was a long drive. It took about 5 hours to get back to Millville. The reason was that the GPS had us go off I-95 and go toward the BWE. Well, we had to go though DC and the GPS wanted us to go to Route 50 towards Annapolis MD. It was a slog but we made it
The WAWA in Petersburg Va.
back to  Millville at 3:15 AM  to finish the last leg of a 20hr trip. The  Ford Explorer did quite well on this long trip and the 7 cats came out OK!! DAMN! It was  COLD! I could not wait for it to warm up.
I was  not used to this weather. I am done  Good night & Good morning!!!
3:15AM

2 comments:

Stuart said...

I love listening to AM radio on long drives. Try to find the wackiest programming.

mkrull said...

I have updated it a lot since my friends REALLY
want to drive. They are picking songs for Ned
to Sly and Robbie