Friday, April 05, 2013

A Healthcare Proposal

I read an article in Addicting Info, a blog I read everyday, a story that really caught my interest!


It was originally featured in the Philadelphia Inquirer on April 3 2013 


Below is an email I sent to Dr Peterson early this morning April 5. I thanked him for being willing to break with Republican dogma on heath care. I think it's a worthy proposal. I do object to the birth control and abortion statements in the proposal . He does state that folks can buy supplemental insurance for additional services.

Congratulations Dr. Peterson, you came up with a novel idea for single payer which most Americans would embrace. As you understand, single-payer would be much simpler to implement then Obamacare and it represents a break from the repeal it or else political strategy of the Republican Party. Currently the Republican party's plans are to cut benefits for everybody except the rich mentality that they cling onto like a child to a teddy bear. This is a good way to expand the debate on health care because the single-payer system really is the most efficient system. While I disagree on your particular positions on abortion and birth control, your idea is ground breaking!
As you know we have large insurance companies with a vested interest in the current system. They will be very hard to beat. They are the REAL reason that Obamacare is so complex. No single-payer legislation was going to pass and the Democrats controlled BOTH houses of Congress!! Take a look at the issue of gun control. We have polls that at least 83% support expanded background checks but yet they cannot get it even passed though the Senate which is controlled by Democrats!! So Doctor, you see that there are vested, monied interests that benefit from the status quo. Like everything else in Congress, it is all about the money!
I would like a response to that concern.
Dr Peterson, thank you and thank you for expanding the debate. I look forward to hearing how the leadership of the Republican Party take to your idea.
I look forward to your response.

Regards,
Mark Krull
Philadelphia

P.S. I am a Liberal Democrat.

No comments: