Saturday, July 16, 2016

July 16: Dispatch from Turkey

2 of my friends are now living in Istanbul Turkey. As you have heard, there was a coop attempt Friday night. It appears that it had failed. My friend wrote about his experiences there Friday night into Saturday.
View from Bob's Place in Istanbul Turkey July 16 2016

Bob McLaughlin I was already at the pub when the coup started. The place was in the middle of a "bar block" with lots of places with outdoor seating. I was with a half dozen hashers when people started getting SMSes that the bridges were closed. Then cop cars with sirens blaring drove down the walking street, so we figured it was time to head out. One of the people with us said her brother had an apartment a few blocks away, so we went there. ...After loading up with more beer of course. It was quite the evening, with jets roaring overhead and purposely dropping sonic booms, (at first we thought they were real bombs) and our friends watching Turkish TV and translating it. In the end I fell asleep on the couch with a 3 legged cat. In the morning we woke up, walked back to where I live, about a 30 minute walk, which is also where the ferry docks to the Asian side are. The rest of the hashers live over there and the bridges were still closed. I didn't see any ferries running either but they were hopeful. I told them to call me if they weren't running and they could come to my house and I'd feed 'em breakfast. Looks like they got over; I never got a call, which is just as well, I slept for the next 8 hours. So there ya go. We're calling it "the coup hash"!
His wife was home at the time and shared her impressions of the events.

Lis  Impossible to miss. At one point, the call to pray, seagulls, jets and sonic booms all at once. Sunny and beautiful today though.
Its now 11:45am. More updates as they arrive!

No comments: