Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Microagression: My Experience

Am I a racist and not conscious of my white privilege? I was quite taken aback while enjoying a nice dinner and conversation with a dear friend I have know since childhood. We don't get to spend a lot of time together but we were enjoying our dinner here in West Philly.
I am eating at an Ethiopian Restaurant with a friend. We ask the waitress for more water. I sensing that the waitress does not fully understand our request, raise my left arm and make a motion of pouring a pitcher. Soon after this, an African-American woman asks about my interaction with the waitress. She states she is conducting research on microagression. I was stunned since my dinner was interrupted by someone accusing me of being a racist.I thought it was rude for her to say this then just leave. We talked to the waitress who was NOT offended and frankly was confused by our question. This occurred just this evening in West Philadelphia on Feb 4th 2014

I shared my story of being a "victim" of microagression on this web page called the "Microagressions Project"
Maybe this woman is part of this project. If so you did not do your cause much good. I will be following up on this project and see if they are observing majority white males like that did to me. I look forward to sharing my thoughts and expressing an opinion. When my Gmail works, I will email the nice folks at the Microagressions Project at editors@microaggressions.com
I learn something new everyday, sometimes by mistake.

No comments: