Sunday, December 19, 2010

Crossing That Bridge: Should Pa.'s Liquor Stores be Privatized?

Well, here we go again!! Another Republican Governor in Pennsylvania is going to attempt to sell of the Pennsylvania Liquer Control Board LCB). There have been 3 other attempts to sell of the LCB since the 1970's. This year some folks say this time MAY be different. They say is because the state of Pennsylvania is 4 BILLION in debt. This is the major difference.
A Treat on a cold December Day
"It's an alien world," Jason Cohen says of Pennsylvania, where "you can't buy alcohol where you want to." Cohen, who lives in South Philly, was shopping at Canal's Wine & Liquors in Pennsauken. (Laurence Kesterson/Staff)
You can get this in Jersey!!
I am conflicted, on one hand I go to Canal's in Millville and get a 6-pack of Yuengling Black and Tan for $5.89. When I buy it in University City, its at least $8.00. I also have been known to find a $4.99 bottle of wine that tastes as good as  $12.00 in Pennsylvania. So my friends there is something wrong here. I can just take the PATCO over the bridge and grab a case!
On the other hand I am a state employee who will somehow be blamed for the HUGE defecit that the Commonwealth has built up. Our union SEIU Local 668, I am afraid is gonna get KILLED in next year's contract negotaitions. I hate to see folks lose jobs in this crappy economy while those with huge estates get a HUGE tax holiday. Also, when privatization occurs, the initial monetary benefit quickly fades as favored folks and organizations just eat up the "savings" and just put it in their pockets. Its all an attack on all public employees and at least AFSCME is conducting a campaign to stop the lies
Well, thats it for now!
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Stuart said...

In a word, yes. Montgomery County Maryland has a similar arrangement, being the only wholesaler and operating the liquor stores.

The government should not be in (this) business.

Unknown said...

I tend to agree. I just do not want the employees to get screwed