Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Monday January 9th: Fire!

Yesterday was somewhat uneventful except for this HUGE apartment fire at 49th and Walnut Streets in West Philadelphia. It gutted the entire complex and 100 folks were left homeless. I used to live a block away until 2004. I could see the smoke from 57th and Sansom Streets when I left work. Here is a video I took off a West Philly website

Here is the view that I had from where I work. It was about 5:15pm to about 5:30 when I took this video.

Enhanced by Zemanta
I received email updates on a email list.
During the peak of the fire at 48th and Walnut for about half an hour (~5:20pm) they were on top of West Phila. High School deluging its roof with water from fire hoses - so that the embers would not ignite the School's roof.


The wet streets like 48th at Spruce, have been frozen for some time now, and in such spots, are incredibly slippery.


Hopefully they will prevent the Garages where the High School teaches Auto Mechanics from catching... looks like at least six buildings were involved when I left the scene ~ a couple hours ago. Probably most of the firefighters had almost just about recouped their energies from having fought the Charter School fire Saturday.
The latest as of 9pm
"Perusing some web sites: One erroneous account quotes the Mayor as saying PFD was able to keep fire confined to a single bldg. at 48th & Walnut. Another wrongly describes the three buildings as being along Walnut... the three buildings are along 48th running from Walnut to Locust. It appeared clear to me there had been involvement of building(s) just behind (west) of the Windemere Apts. I am still waiting for new reports confirming this or not.
Other updates:
"About 100 people were evacuated and taken across the street to a temporary Red Cross shelter set up at West Philadelphia High School. About 75 of those residents including five small children had to be moved to the Locke Alain School at 4550 Haverford Ave. because of thickening smoke near the fire location."
"The fire caused the Philadelphia School District to cancel school Tuesday at West Philly High and Henry Lea Elementary School"

No comments: