Friday, February 05, 2010

Friday February 5th: The Fun Begins

I left for work about 7 am and when I came out, I saw a wondrous sight, an orange and pink sky. The first thought I had when I saw this am sky was an old saying my mother told me. It went like this: Red at morn, sailors forlorn which is the inverse of the saying Red at night sailors delight. Well, from the sound of the weather that has approached just before 6pm tonite, I would not want to be a sailor. I drove to work via Grays Ferry to 47th Street then to Chester Ave.
I recorded the street and the surrounding park with NO snow since it will be awhile before there is an absence of snow. I was listening to WXPN playing a cool song I have heard before but for the life of me, I can't remember the name of the song nor the name of the band.
When I went to work today, the computer system was down for about 3 hours. This afforded me the opportunity to FINALLY take all the paper from underneath my desk and go to the shredder. We have 2 that are OK but really our office needs an industrial strength shredders since the govt does use industrial amounts of paper. There is a move towards going paperless with scanning documents instead of filing. Its a noble idea but the state has a long way to go. The photo on the top right is a bag filled with the shredded paper. The bags are wrapped and take out be an outside vendor. The lower photo is yours truly getting the bunched up paper from the blade. (yes, it's unplugged). Others did scanning and it was good to get that chore out of the way. I would say its a decent way to kill a Friday before a much anticipated blizzard. Do you think??? As I was leaving my friend's house near 42nd and Chestnut, I heard a car rear-end another at the traffic light and I took a photo. I called 911 and saw the woman who rear-ended the red car in front of her wobble out of her car. I do not think there were serious injuries but it served as a a warning to be careful driving home to Millville
As I was driving home, I noticed that the snowfall got very heavy in Clayton and it was apparent that I left Philadelphia just on time before it got difficult to drive. As you might be able to see from this video, route 55 was starting to get snow covered due to the snow falling faster and faster

I got home around 8pm and below is what it looked like in front of our house facing Pine Street near High Street. Its supposed to get windier overnight and see a foot overnight and another foot tomorrow. Time will tell.
I even heard that more snow will fall later this week.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We certainly are getting plenty of snow. It's 2:30 and there are many inches already on the ground. The snow is coming down at a good clip. There's been some wind, but right now it's rather pretty watching the snow fall.

Unknown said...

I shoveled yesterday so I am done with all that today.

Thomas Haug said...

The snow looks heavy.

I took my shredder apart several years ago, it looks pretty much like your shredder. I probably should take it apart again, clean it and grease it up.