Saturday, July 24, 2010

Home Repair on a Hot July Day

Well, I wrote up a nice long entry and then Internet Explorer froze up and then deleted all the text and blogger auto-saved the blank page. I think it the program Zemanta that seems to make Internet Explorer freeze up but this is the first time an ENTIRE entry got wiped out. What a pain in the butt!!
Ok, now to the real reason I am writing. Today I took on a home repair job that needed to  be taken care of. The roof and the area at our side door need work. There is a small leak which has compromised the paint and in some areas the wood as well.
I started with the job of patching the roof. This roof will need replacing but hopefully this will hold out. I started sometime between 10:30 and 11am this morning to try to avoid the hottest part of the day. I tried one window to avoid having to turn off the AC in the other window but it was a bit too hairy so I had to put every thing back and removed the AC anyway.  I covered the creases and some bad looking areas of the roof. Just when I finished, the sun started to shine on me and boy did it start getting really broiling with all that roof tar that surrounded me. I managed not to get the tar all over the place and I just had enough paint thinner to get the tar off my hands which was cool.
Next project was scraping the old paint that was starting to peel off. As you can see from the photos and the movie, the paint was in real bad shape and some of the wood is starting to rot. I used a professional -grad paint scraper that Steve lent me. This thing really did a nice job in getting the paint off. I could not for the life of me find a tarp to cover up the cement. I was attempting to avoid a real mess of tiny paint chips. I ended up using a poncho, a discarded fitted sheet and two large plastic bags. They worked pretty well but there was still a lot of stuff on the ground and I then decided to use the vaccum cleaner. That was an inpired idea since the nozzle sucked up all the bits that fell intto the cracks. I then put things back and took a nice cold clean shower.
We may go to Bogart's Books and see Adelante tonite. If we do, I will record it as long a s I have permission from the band.
Well, as for pet sitting, we are competiting with 12 year old kids. I lost some work I just heard from an industrious neighborhood kid. Man cutthought capitolism...
My sister is due to arrive in Phlly tomorrow. I have not heard from anybody as of 7pm today about what the arraingments. I made calls and nobody answered. Carolyne is not home from her yoga training and its 7pm. None of her classes have ever gone overtime. Have not heard from her either. Well, frankly I am tired of the flaky way the browser is acting, so I am gonna stop now.
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

Unknown said...

謝謝你。你是誰和你是哪裡人。我來自新澤西州的美國

Who are you and where are you from. I am from New Jersey in the USA

Stuart said...

That patching goo is pretty good, but gets all over your hands and stuff. I use it on flashing and small cracks that are probably not leaks. If you used a lot of it, you might need to go back after it dries and put another small bit on.

Nothing like doing roof work on a 100 degree day, right?