Sunday, December 06, 2009

Current Thoughts & Past Events

I was on the web drinking...my coffee this morning and got an email from a West Philly list serve. Parts of West Philly are gentrified and funky in a good way. Check this video out. It's now a destination when the "alternative" weekly makes a video about how cool it is to live in your part of the city. Its the hip part of West Philly where we used to live. Again we lived in the cheaper and LESS hip part of West Philly at 49Th and Locust St but it was a 5 min car ride away . You know that when the local hipster paper writes and make videos of how funky a place, we are not talking about the smell..that's for sure.
How Y''All doing? I cooked up some pasta for a quick dinner since we were all pretty hungry. Carolyne rented from NetFlix the show TWIN PEAKS. Wow, what a trip watching that. It sends me back to 1990 when I had more hair and less cynical about politics.
Last week's City Commission meeting may have ushered a new era of politics. We shall soon see. I of course will report on what I observe and hear. I know folks are feeling victimized and it reminds me of a time not so long ago in Millville that is forgotten. Listen to the lyrics to a GREAT REM song and maybe there will be understanding. I am hoping the alarmists visions of doom and gloom in Millville politics does not occur.Its like this video in my mind. Sometimes bad stuff happens to good qualified people . Life goes on but boy it DOES suck to get screwed while the rest of the world goes on its merry way. Its tiring and depressing!!
Anyway, I hope to see some of you readers before and during the holidays. Perhaps at the Oar House or on High Street. Some of you live outside of Millville and you know where I work.
In my job in the Career Development Unit, we are going back to Alpha caseloads starting in Jan 2010. I know about that 3 weeks ago but told to not to say anything but at our staff meeting last Friday at 3pm the District Administrator told the whole staff.
I will not be doing sanctions any longer. That is my reward for being considered a decent IMCW. I am tired of sanctions and am 100 folks behind since I did not write up a SINGLE sanction since October due to SEPTA strike, absences and I was pulled to to other work... I will now have to contend with the DAMMED phone ringing off the hook for Carfare over and over especially at the end and beginning of the month. Oh well, I at least have A JOB!!!!!!!! Business is booming and our compliance rate is down to 37% as of now and we are supposed to be at a min 50%. Next month's report is really gonna be BAD. Thank God we are Union cause the bozos that run DPW would have us fired due to their incompetence.
Gee, think I am on caffeine much???? That iced tea with lemonade sure packs a caffeinated punch. I use it at work for a refreshing break in the dry indoor air.
Looks like the cold weather ushered yesterday is here to stay. Temps will stay in the 40 for the HIGH temperature. The only mild day forecast is Weds and it will be rainy and windy with a high of 50..YUM!!!
We are trying to rustle enough money to install a chimney for our wood-burning stove in our outside studio. Its gonna cost between 1,200 to 1,800 bucks. The person staying in the studio now has to sleep in the couch. In fact its 11:49 am and she is STILL sleeping. Needless to say she is 22 year old. I guess since I can not really talk on caffeine, I guess email will have to to (typo's included).
We were going to put our old dog Wolfie to sleep since he AGAIN bit someone in our home. We went to the vet and she told us that they are required by law to WAIT 15 days after a bite to see if the dog has rabies. That was a bit bizarre cause this was a different story from Weds when the vet was called. This vet was very good and we trust she KNEW what she was talking about. She said that our dog probably has a brain tumor that is making him so disturbed. We now have a muzzle on old Wolfie and will have to mull our options in the next 2 weeks. Here is a photo of Wolfie I made this past Thanksgiving. Its pretty ironic don't ya think. I wrote about this in an earlier blog entry that you might have missed since you had more interesting things to read about such as the number of chicks Tiger Woods was playing with on the side. Yup that NY Post had a story about how he likes rough sex...YEAH, news I can use...??
Today I spoiled myself and bought the Philly Inquirer AND the NY times and guess what the only story about Tiger Woods is about how stupid he was to text his lovers and expect PRIVACY. Umm...Umm girl...
Lets rewind the blog clock shall we. Back one year ago, the noise at the NJ Motorsports Park was just starting to...rev up when Millville First knowing a good election issue, held a public meeting in December 2008 that was well-attended. . In January 2009 the group TrackRacket with its leader Michelle Post made a splashy introduction with a well-organized meeting that was standing room only. This group also timed their issues to the spotlight of the upcoming City Commission election in May 2009. TrackRacket held a meeting a week before the election and in my mind, this meeting did not go so well for the interests of TrackRacket as you will notice on a video taken at the meeting. This election saw 12 candidates running for 5 seats. Commissioner Parent decided not to run. Even with opposition from 2 fronts all the incumbents managed to win. I gave my endorsements here. The Levoy Theatre in downtown Millville has been vacant for over 20 years and though the efforts of Lauren VanEmbden and her father Phillip Van Embden, we are closer then we ever have to having a 1st class venue for the arts and theatre. There has been notable success in getting the support and funding to undertake this massive renovation. I have reported on this in several blog entries over the past year. The effort began publicly at a City Commission meeting held on Tues December 16 2008. Petitions were given to the city Commission showing support from Millville residents. As time went on progress was made as seen here. Lets hope the progress continues and costs do not doom the project.
It was 2 years ago we went to the Oar House after the Soul of the Season and Saw Subculture and had a real fun time. Here is what I did 3 years ago WOW!! My blog is 4 years old. Well, no time to party,4:40am is real close and I should get some shut eye so I can catch the 5:47 bus to Philly

No comments: