Wednesday, December 02, 2009

December 1st Politics in Millville

Anyone who reads this blog or MagazzuWatch know what transpired last night at the City Commission Meeting. Jim Swift was voted out as public defender. Brock Russell the current prosecutor was installed as public defender. Lauren VanEmbden was voted in as the new prosecutor. See video:
What should have been a routine matter has become embroiled in messy partisan politics, rumors and resentment to flood out the city.
I have listend to the parties involved. I first found out this was going to happen on 3rd Friday last month. I followed up by asking questions and received strident and defensive answers. I have heard folks say that they would move out if they did not get their way on this matter. This to me was the most disturbing aspect of this political situation. It appears that scorched earth politics has reached the city limits of Millville. Not even Millville First has generated such division amongst folks who are active with making Millville a better place.
Will we see mass resignations by city activists? Will the criminals run amok with a new prosecutor?? Is Lou Magazzu involved with this decision??
This last question has cause the most anger and defensiveness to everyone I have spoken with on this matter. Some are CONVINCED that he promised jobs to 2 Commission members to make this happen. This is STRONGLY denied by others. I have considered asking directly to certain individuals this question but by the way I have been answered with a defensive tone. I will let that question go. Its the pink elephant in the room that no newspaper will ask and no one will tell.
This whole episode has left me dizzy, confused and disappointed. Now, that is not a big deal since I am not involved directly in this. I am a Center City Resident however, and if neighborhood leaders lose faith in city government, Millville is in big trouble. On the other hand to just give up and let the anger of the moment color the BIG PICTURE (A Better Millville) then there will be " blame" and shame to spread out like fertilizer
Maybe we can all move on to other issues that we can all agree on such as keeping the police dispachers HERE in Millville.
Lets chill and just do it

No comments: