Thursday, June 20, 2013

A Trip to New York: B-52's and the Go Go's at the Roseland Ballroom


Well, June 19th came and  we were ready to have some fun!!!
Rush Hour Midtown
Pat saw that the Go Go's were playing in New York back about 3 months ago and we decided that we would go and just have some fun in NYC. It was a splendid time. We decided right away to take 2 days off work so that we could be flexible with our plans. We decided instead of blowing gobs of cash on a place to sleep, we would just stay up and play in Manhattan instead. I made reservations for Megabus about a
Never a Dull Moment Here!!
week ago and got the cheapest rate EVER!! The TOTAL round trip price for BOTH of us was $24.00!! That is 12 bucks round trip for each of us.
We Began yesterday by having a large pasta dish with with spinach, sun dried tomato pesto, feta cheese olive oil, crushed red pepper flakes and a spot of pasta sauce. The pasta was Rotinni and it was delectable and filling. Just before we left, I got a samosa and papaya juice from the Indian Store called Dana Mandi so as to finish our eating. We walked from 42nd Street to 30th and JFK Blvd to catch the Megabus.
Waiting in Line

before we go to the Roseland theater Pat and I walked
Chillin at Matt's Grill after the Concert!
through Manhattan toward 52nd St. It was the height of the rush hour when we arrived at 5:15 pm and it is quite intense with a lot of commuters. We saw the teeming masses that make up Midtown and of course saw some "interesting" sights that I could only see in New York.

had time for a bite to eat since the Roseland Ballroom opens at 7 pm. We took our time looking for a spot that was not expensive and was casual. We found it at a place called Matt's Grill. It was a down to earth place and they did not care that we just split
B-52's
some fries. The bartender noticed that we both had accents and was a cool fellow I had some Coke and Pat had 2 beers. We decided that we would return after the concert to chill and kill time until we catch the 5:30 am bus.
My favorite photo of the Go Go's

Rockin New York!

5:30 PM walking towards the Roseland theater and then again maybe a little snack or maybe something drink and chill beautiful day in New York
ITS A COOL NIGHT!!
Fun at the Roseland Ballroom!

Well, we waited in the line that stretched around the block but the line went pretty quickly. It's a general admission venue and well we went down to the very left of the stage and got pretty
The Go Go's
close. It made it possible to create videos. The Go Go's started the evening. They looked good and really had a nice heavy beat. They played the hits and a few solo songs. Word on the street says that Kathy Valentine, the bassist was "fired" and she plans to sue the band. Well, it did not seem to matter, since the band was feeling good and sounded good as well. I could not tape everything since my battery kept needing a recharge and videos take a MASSIVE amount of space on my iPhone. I spent all of intermission recharging my phone and downloading songs to YouTube so I could delete them to make space.

The B-52's did ROCK. They played "Planet Clare", "Rock Lobster", "Love Shack" and "LAVA"!! Both of us were loving it! They rocked on till about 11pm. Man oh man that was a good time they both played their guts out!!!
4:30 Breakfast!

Afterwards we went back to Matt's Grill that was nearby and
Bartyender at Matt's Grill :)
we met some really fun cool people really smart too. The bartender was pretty groove we hung out there till about 3:30am
We then had English muffins and a coffee at the Skylight Diner. The service was quick. Next we walked to W. 34th St. across street from the Jacob Javits Center waiting for the 5:30 AM Megabus back to Philly.

It's almost 6 AM we are on New Jersey turnpike heading back to Philadelphia. Made it home and proceeded to eat
Waiting for the 5:30 am bus today
ous Cous and then crash for several hours. It was good not to go to work today. It was a good day to chill as they say. Glad I went and met some nice folks and saw 2 bands I never seen before. Its now 8pm Thursday June 20th. I am pretty tired but mellow. I return to work and its Friday. Got to live on the cheap for the next week till I get paid. This week was cut up pretty good I must say. I hope I can live out my wishes and dreams (well more my wishes....)

No comments: