Tuesday, February 08, 2011

A Day at the Naval Yard

The Philadelphia Naval Yard Feb 7th 2011

The Naval Yard and the Delaware.
Yesterday Feb 7th was a bit different. I needed to make a few trips. I went to NJ right over the Walt Whitman to drop something off then I had to go to the Naval Yard for a job interview. The Naval Yard is at the very end of Broad Street. Its its own village with traffic lights and many businesses there. This interview,  of course was for a part time position with one of the businesses located there. The interview was scheduled for 3:15pm and I was not completed the interview with this company till 4:45pm. I had to sign papers agreeing to a criminal background check, credit check and a drug test. Mind you I have never been drug tested before, so this was new to me. One of the papers had some understandings that I needed to know and one was that I have no facial hair. The interviewer stated that the ban on facial hair was no longer enforced BUT they do discourage it. I suppose if I want a easier job located indoors that it might be best to remove the beard. Well, at the very end of the interview, I was handed this plastic  thing with a cotton cylinder at the end. Well, THIS was my drug test. I had to get my saliva on the cotton end. Well, it took awhile to get enough but it went ok, I passed that! I was just surprised that it came right at the actual interview. I thought it would be at orientation. I will get this job if the criminal and credit check all pan out. I should find out in 2 weeks.
Its just really says about the state of our country that to get a job that pays 10 per hr or less, a person has to go though all those tests. It seems to keep the folks down and this is not the government, private industry has free reign over the personal lives of job applicants and employees. Well, like others in this economy, some extra cash will be good.
Today Feb 7th 5:18am
After the interview,   I was driving and there were some groovy tunes on the WXPN 88.6 where they played 5 songs from the British Invasion that started Feb 7th 1964. Of course it started with the Beatles with "I Want to Hold Your Hand." I really did enjoy them very much and it got me movin that is for sure. The video gives some highlights of this. I hope its enjoyable for you.
I have to hustle to get ready for work and catch the 5:47am bus
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: