Monday, February 21, 2011

Brenner's Brew: The Last Day and Night

Hanging Out after Yoga Class Saturday
Bob, Marilyn and I at Brenner's
Yes, its true Brenner's Brew has closed its doors for the last time this past Saturday February 19th. We hung out with Carolyn's Sisters after class and enjoyed the last after yoga lunch. Mmm, the egg and cheese sandwiches were quite yummy.Before it closed yesterday, there was a final party with bands and folks all around to say "good bye" to Barbara Brenner and her coffee shop. Many local musicians have played
Delicious Cake
at Brenner's Brew over the past 14 years. This is a small sample. It was the last open mike. Here are a few pictures and a video summery of the evening from my eyes. Here is one poet John Erianne's memory of Barbara and Brenner's Brew:
I remember the first time I met Barbara. It was just a couple of months after she opened. There was also a new book store, The Hungry Reader, which had opened around the same time. I had been talking with Kitty, the book store’s owner, about carrying my first poetry chapbook. She agreed to carry it on consignment, but then suggested that I talk to Barbara Brenner, who’d was starting up an open mic. I met Barbara shortly after and formed a fast friendship. Less than a month later I read my poetry there for the first time. It was me, a Native American storyteller and a folk duo called My Louise. The open mic nights went through many incarnations and many hosts over the years. Saturday, February 19 will be the last poetry event at Brenner’s Brew ever

Good Conversation
Enjoying the Night Out!
I will miss going there after Yoga and just chillin with family. Good luck Barbara.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: