Monday, November 01, 2010

Rally to Restore Sanity: October 30 in DC

On Saturday October 30 I attended the Rally to Restore Sanity with my friends Linda and Fred. It was quite an adventure for sure. We left Millville at 8am thinking
DC Traffic was bogus!!
it might take 3 hours to arrive at the Greenbelt Metro station.  Well, we were quite incorrect in that for sure. The traffic on I-95 was just horrible from the Delaware tolls all the way in to Maryland. The Baltimore-Washington Parkway was the worst of all and we ended up back on I-95 and got off early and arrived at the Wheaton station of the Metro.
Packed from Wheaton MD to DC
One of many cool signs and shirts
That train was PACKED!! We were squeezed like sardines for the entire trip. Everyone was pretty calm and made the best of it. When we got off the train at 1:30 pm and were in DC we were STUNNED by the sheer amount of people that were there. There were lots of folks leaving as we were arriving. We saw many folks in their 40's and 50's there as well as lots of young college kids there as well.
Linda and Fred at the Rally
A funny sign
Fred brought some good sandwiches and a yummy pie that we ate to rest up during the rally. I did almost get in trouble with the cops when trying to get a good video shot of the huge crowd. Fox news said 10's of thousands went but CBS news and other gave estimates of 200.000
Take a look at this mass of huminity!!
to 250,000. I say its closer to 300,000 since many folks like us were late or decided just to lay back and enjoy the sun and atmosphere
Linda and I amongst the masses
The signs were very clever and the weather was just perfect for a large rally. It was a quite an experience. I am glad I went but next time I will get up alot earlier or just spend the night in the Balimore/ DC area with friends or family so I can get there early. The Metro had track work and this caused the train to stop alot and the Greenbelt line was closed due to a terroist threat. Man we were
All of us at the rally. Just had lunch.
lucky we made it at all. I am now just now finding out what happened on stage at the rally. Enjoy the Videos and  photos.   Here are some more photos of the event. Also see the related articles at the end of this posting!

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: