Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Last Day of June 2010

Good morning. Its a fine day with MUCH lower humidity. I slept in since I am driving into work today. I don't get to see this kind of action. Yesterday, on the 6:53pm 408 Bus out of Camden, I saw this heroin addict shooting up at the back of the bus. Man, I got the f** out of there and moved up front. The driver was already told about and said to call NJ Transit and ask for transit police to take a ride. I mean, its pretty obvious who is an addict, you do not have to be a cop to figure it out. Good thing since I have a full schedule of shopping and walking 2 dogs today. Still have to get my July pass for the bus soon. I will have work hard and block out the noise

I was talking with Steve and he never heard of the Snoopy vs Red Baron. This was by the Royal Guardsmen one of those one-hit wonders of the 60's. Pat has an album by them and its not too bad. I saw a post on Facebook with this video

Last night the City Commission had their meeting. Lou Thompson retired and was praised all around. Some say he actually ran the city with his wealth of knowledge. The city authorized $5,000 for "professional services" to defend against a lawsuit against Track Racket's lawsuit. Just like Paul Porrima and Citizens United did Track Racket is going to cost ME and ALL taxpayers money that we do not have. How many more cops could we have if not for spiteful lawsuits by these groups. I need to ask how many lawsuits the city is defending while laying off employees and furloughing the police. I do realize the $$ come from different parts of the budget BUT this is STILL a waste of taxpayer money. We could have had Summer Events but NOOoooo we have to defend against lawsuits that will get tossed out anyhow. While this was going on, the Commission said NO to a request to allow taverns to sell at 9am on July 4th which falls on a Sunday. This was a one-time request. Fellow blogger Robert Owens feels this was a poor decision since it denies businesses an opportunity for more revenue. He makes a good point. Commissioner Dave Vananaman was the only one to give his opinion. I think they were concerned about their reputation and the city''s reputation. This is understandable but again these were businessmen in a shaky economy. Last year I was called out for supporting a rental fee increase. One quote I loved was this gem "Unlike Mr. Krull with his college degree and comfortable city job"Good news, Millville is getting UEZ cash of 535,000. This will pay for 4 police, 3 firefighters and 266,263 in the Mall's debt service. No events can be paid by UEZ due to new restrictions. Good bye Summer Events for a long time..I guess. This week is our monthly Zoning Board meeting. Meetings have been short since the economy and real estate is still in the tank. This photo is of the back yard where our trash cans used to be. Carolyne did a nice job of reclaiming the space from the trash!! Hope to hit the beach this weekend, now got to run to work now. Enjoy this nice day, its gonna get hot and stick again soon. Enjoy this video taken this morning. Its very confortable today!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not certain the commissioners were concerned about their reputations. Regarding commissioners and alcohol, the reputations are pretty well set. And if they weren't, the comments during Mr. Thompson's time certainly cemented them.

michelle post said...

Mark, You seemed very concerned where and how your tax dollars are spent. You can rest assure that your tax dollars are also going to support your NJMP as they received a UEZ "loan" to the tune of almost half a million dollars. This was given for operating expenses, not the intended use of these funds. But, since it is my tax dollars as well, consider the irony that I get to pay for the privilege of hearing their noise pollution.

Stuart said...

How's that comfortable city job, Mr. College Degree Man?