Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Silence is NOT Golden

Yesterday the Conservative majority of the Supreme Court stated that suspects must break their silence and tell police they are going to remain quiet to stop an interrogation, just as they must tell police that they want a lawyer.
This is silly yet scary at the same time. This is the view of big government Conservatives that big govt and big corporations are always right. I think the new Justice Sonia Sotomayor got it right when she said:
"Criminal suspects must now unambiguously invoke their right to remain silent – which counterintuitively requires them to speak," she said. "At the same time, suspects will be legally presumed to have waived their rights even if they have given no clear expression of their intent to do so. Those results, in my view, find no basis in Miranda or our subsequent cases and are inconsistent with the fair-trial principles on which those precedents are grounded."

This decision as Justice Sotomayor clearly states "turns Miranda upside down."
As for more mundane thoughts. Training this afternoon downtown so I get away from the phones for a moment. We learn the latest on TANF Sanctions. Sanctioning is a joke. There are so many arcane procedure it renders the policy moot in my humble opinion. I should know, I was the "sanction worker" for 18 months till this January. I do not want to do that again for awhile.
Oh, yeh, Al and Tipper Gore split up. Boy the media was hungry after that one!!
One last thing, the photo is my garbage for this Wednesday. We need new trash cans...

No comments: