Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Christie: A Typical Republican

I read that Gov. Christie's cuts will affect the working poor much more then others. I did not vote for Mr. Christie but I was hopeful with the NJ economy and government in the crapper that funding cuts and savings would be spread out more. Maybe I was naive but that is what I thought. These words backed up my hope.

"There is not going to be an area of citizenry in our state or interests in our state who's not going to be asked to be part of shared sacrifice," he said last week
.

Well..well. These words were nice but the reality is MUCH different. Like most members of his party, Gov Christie plans to save $$ on the backs of those who can LEAST afford it.

Already, he has cut the state's mass-transit subsidy and stopped enrolling some lower-income adults in a subsidized health insurance program. He's also proposed reducing weekly unemployment checks and, even before he was sworn in, hinted that food banks could see their state aid cut and told hospitals their reimbursements for treating the indigent will be cut in June.


I suppose that is what his mandate is. I somehow think that he was elected to fix the mess that is the NJ Government. How bout less lawyers, consultants and governments in this state. How bout less perks for the well-connected. If I saw this kind of "shared sacrifice" then I could understand him with his proposed cuts to the poor.
Dig this. NJ Transit is going to raise its fares 25%!! I hear that the Executive Director of NJ Transit makes about $275,000 per year. Gee, he is really feeling the recession.
I look forward to seeing how supporters of the Gov. respond and how the Dems will accept this. I am sure they will lie down just like the Dems with President Bush and Reagen.
Its just sad really. Now lets pass this Health Care Bill Dammit!!!

No comments: