Tuesday, September 01, 2009

City Comission Meeting Sept 1st 2009


I went to the City Commission meeting on this fine September 1st. It was packed to the max with folks concerned with the Route 55/49 project. State officials from the Department of Transportation came out and stated that the project will be scaled back and the The 220-year-old oak tree near the corner of Wade Boulevard and Route 49 will not be affected. Rt 49 will not be widened. The heavy hitters of the local political scene were out. Lou Magazzu, Jeff Van Drew, Matt Millim and Nelson Albano. I did get a chance to let Sen Van Drew know how important the Levoy is to the future of the Arts District in Millville. He reacted positively to this. We shall see very soon if the Senator puts his back-slapping to good use. At the meeting the Commission approved the city buying a property at the corner of Buck and Pine Streets. I walk my dogs by there everyday and I for one am glad the city will buy it. I really like the suggestion that Mayor Shannon made to tear it down. Commissioner Vanaman wants the city to consider being a landlord. This is a silly idea. If anyone looks at the property, they will see it needs work. The city will need the land to further the develop the riverfront area. This property is next to the library and make the area whole for future development. This is smart of the city.
I then had to leave the meeting at 7:45pm. I missed Commissioner Vanaman vote NO for an extra $325, 000 of UEZ funds to assist in the Levoy. He did express support for Pete Peirce's dream and the project. I guess he felt the need to save money or to show his bonafides to the Millville First contingent in the audience. I do not know.. After the meeting a friend asked Lou Magazzu a few questions. No video but great reporting.

No comments: