Thursday, September 03, 2009

I Visit the Maraposa Coop in West Philly




Yesterday I went to the Maraposa Coop to do some one-time shopping. I was a member for about 5 years till 2004. Since that time the membership has gone from less then 200 members to about 600 or more members.
I did notice that the store was cleaner and more organized then I remember 6 years ago and that along with the influx of new wealther residents and the funky atmosphere has helped this coop. They now plan to move to a larger space up the street at a former bank building that is current a baptist church. The prices are still pretty high and one should stick to bulk items since some pre-package items are at 50% mark up. They do tell the customer the markup amount behind the counter which pretty cool.
Near the Coop are 2 large murals. They dipict life in this area of West Philly. Yes, they are idealized but they are very well done. You can see them on Baltimore Ave between 46th and 47th street. They are a vast improvement over the one's that were there 6 years ago when I used to frequent the area.
I am off to work after a visit to the dentest.

No comments: