Thursday, November 20, 2008

Third Sunday Music Should be Supported

I wanted to show my support to Bryan and New Revelation Records by publishing my neighbor's letter. It was published in the November 19th 2008 Daily Journal in the editoral section. Please also read the comments as well. We need to support each other in these hard economic times.

"Each month I've held my tongue in check and kept my pen in the holder on my desk. But no more. Enough is enough. Why put pen to paper now, you might ask, with our economy in such a mess, food and gas prices depleting our pocketbooks, and the general cost of living and dying impacting our lives? Why speak out on this issue?I can't do very much about those things except to economize, live and vote responsibly, and pray. However, this is something I can do something about immediately: I can make my voice heard.

I can support and defend this cause face to face, because I am in the middle of it every third Sunday. This is an hour of fun and pleasure that is being given to me and everyone else who has the good sense to "stop and smell the roses." And it's free, courtesy of the foresight, ingenuity and generosity of the owner of New Revelations Music and Novelty Shop, at the corner of High and Pine streets in Millville.

Brian Montemuro has provided the opportunity for many artists to be seen and heard for at least one hour on the third Sunday of each month in an open-air venue. The music has been eclectic, with varieties from rock to gospel. And no matter the style, it has produced a cohesive bond for everyone there who has enjoyed the camaraderie.

However, without fail, the party pooper(s), whomever that person(s) may be, either calls the store to complain about the music or sends the police. My God, people, this is an arts district. That is what artists and art lovers do in an arts district. They perform and enjoy.

Instead of complaining, put on your joyful heart, a "hi, neighbor" smile on your face, change into your cultural persona, don a pair of dancing shoes and come out and join us. You just might like us.

Say "hi" and "thank you" to Brian, and just plain "hi" to the rest of us. Or, grab a bottle of wine and just chill. Perhaps this is a good time to go out and visit friends or family for an hour. Go to a movie. Go shopping. Go to church and pray for the souls who are "living their lives out loud."

It's one hour a month. It's the Arts District. Brian and New Revelations should be supported and applauded for his support of talent and generosity to the public."

Donna M. Ritchie

Millville

Read reactions to this story
User Image
CarriePip wrote:
Bryan is inventive and hardworking, doing everythign he can to make his business work in tough times. I've seen him modify his hours, expand his inventory and now provide live entertainment -AT NO COST- to attract customers as well as give high street a setting for community/gathering. He even invites and allows kids to come play games on his turf when they don't have any other options....that's way cool.
11/19/2008 10:20:10 AM
User Image
hidesight wrote:
Hallelujah, praying, listening to music, dancing, passing the " bottle " and just plain chillin ?
Maybe your neighbors believe in the OLD TIME RELIGION.

11/19/2008 9:55:16 AM
User Image
wakkaman wrote:
AMEN. I live nearby and I think its way cool. Go to my blog and see a sample
http://mkrull.blogspot.com/2008/09/outdoor-concert-at-new-revelation.html

11/19/2008 8:05:16 AM
User Image
causeicare wrote:
I had no idea they did this every month! I'll have to go check it out. Gospel, rock, country..I love it all! Thanks for letting me know about it.
11/19/2008 7:21:21 AM

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donna Ritchie says "Or, grab a bottle of wine and just chill". Now that is what this city needs. People drinking on High Street on a Sunday morning. And people wonder why the "arts district" is in trouble. If you want to live in the city then move to the city. Time resolves problems and in time "they" will leave. The handouts are drying up. Even the bars are up for sale.

Anonymous said...

See how closed minded people are. What is wrong with chilling out and enjoying some music with a good glass of wine? What are people looking for?

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]paul wetter[/b][/url]

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]deutsche wetter[b][/url]