Friday, January 30, 2009

Hamilton and our Present Economic State.

I have been listening to the Hannity Blowhard Hr and hearing other crap about the Obama stimulus plan. I got all bothered and after talking a friend's ear off, I went though the internet and found out some interesting info. This site debunks the falsehoods being spread by the spoiled right wing of the Republican Party.

I just saw a reference to Report on Manufactures (1791). by Alexander Hamilton This Now this man was smart. Here is a little bit about it.

I bet its not popular reading at the Heritage Foundation or FOX News.
I never know this document existed, so I suppose I might want to get this book called "Alexander Hamilton in the American Tradition"

Below is an Abstract, I liked, on a paper called
The Aftermath of Hamilton's 'Report on Manufactures' by Douglas A. Irwin


"Alexander Hamilton's Report on Manufactures (1791) is a classic document in the history of U.S. economic policy, but its fate in Congress is not well known. It is commonly believed that the report was never implemented. Although Hamilton's proposals for bounties (subsidies) failed to receive support, virtually every tariff recommendation put forward in the report was adopted by Congress in early 1792. These tariffs were not highly protectionist duties because Hamilton feared discouraging imports, which were the critical tax base on which he planned to fund the public debt. Indeed, because Hamilton's policy toward manufacturing was one of encouragement and not protection, those interests shifted their political support from the Federalists to the Jeffersonian Republicans during the 1790s."


Let me know what you think. I agree with Thom Hartman that President Obama read this, but again I am sure he has!!

No comments: