Friday, July 10, 2009

Notify property owners first about school site


Here is a letter printed in today's Daily Journal.. She make a very good point that the process for choosing the new school has been very secret. The Facilities Committee of the Board of Education is the place to ask questions. They have worked on this issue for about 2 years.

Notify property owners first about school site
I feel I must write in response to an article printed in The Daily Journal on June 26 regarding the new Millville High School.

Last week I took a few days off to vacation with family and friends. When I came home on Friday evening I had already received two calls on my cell phone, three calls on my home phone and five people who had stopped by my house. All of the calls were as a result of an article in Friday's paper regarding the eight sites being considered for the new high school.

Imagine my surprise when I got home and saw my beautiful home on the front page of the paper -- not because of its appearance, but because it is one of the eight sites being considered! The article stated "not all the property owners know the land is under consideration for the new school." I can vouch for that! We had no clue. We found out that they are thinking of building a school on our property by reading it in the newspaper!

At a family function the next day, our friends were joking that they were going to put a sign in our front yard that says "Future Home of Millville Senior High School." We didn't find the joke funny.

The article said that of the eight properties, the school board would decide on the final three and a "resolution would be adopted at the July 21 meeting." A resolution being "adopted" means the issue has already been resolved. That means that the final three have already been chosen by the time the July 21 meeting rolls around. I called the board office to get more information and to find out the location and time of the meeting and it was at that time that I learned that a meeting had already been held the night before. I then learned that the final three had in fact been chosen! The board will apparently submit the three finalists to the state at a meeting to be held next week. I have been advised that the discussions are under closed session and not open to the public!
I find this appalling. Common courtesy would have been to contact the property owners first. We built our house only four years ago and have put a lot of ourselves into it, not to mention a lot of money! I think the people involved in this transaction need to contact all people involved and keep them apprised of the developments of this school project. But, of course, that would be too considerate and more aggravation for them because of the stir it would cause.
Well, most of my neighbors and I are ready to cause that stir
Jeannette Pace
Millville

No comments: