Tuesday, July 08, 2008

7-7





Yesterday after work I went to Center City to get some items and found a Jolly Roger cap. It was overpriced but it is very unique. I plan to wear it on 3rd Friday this month. SummerFest is this weekend and I am looking forward to it. I hope they can keep the Holly City Family Center open. A well-placed source gave me the run down on what has been happening




"For your information the city committed $70K for 5 years and the BOE committed $50K for 3 years. The city actually paid the $70K fee for 7 years. Last year Commissioner Shannon put together a report that demonstrated that the services that the city and it residents received did not justify the $70K. It is also a ½ cent on the tax rate. The center has lost over $200K last year and is projected to lose approximately $225K this year. There were some very smart and talented people around the table yesterday lets hope they can put something together to keep the center open. "



We will see...
I then met up with Dana, Maryann and some friends of Don. We got to catch up on recent events and the like. After that I went on Dottie's walk. I do see improvements on 401 Vine St. There were NO kids hanging around and that is great! Lets us keep this up.
Well, back to work now...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark,
At least you recognize that items are overpriced on High Street. That coupled with the fact that most of the shops are only open a few hours a week = failure. But if they hang in there I'm certain it will get better once the crowds start taking Nabb Avenue to get to the Motorsports Park.

Anonymous said...

My hat was bought in Downtown Philly.
They did not have any hat like this one.

Anonymous said...

So now you understand the problem we have on High Street. Can't find items that people want/need so they shop other places. I'm shocked that you aren't financially supporting the art's district. Well at least we can go downtown and have a drink. At least until they sell their establishments.

Anonymous said...

We always patronize High St. We hit the Oar House, Bogarts, Thundson Forge. I was in CC and just found this hat which is not availble at ANY of the Malls.

Anonymous said...

See you at the Oar House

Anonymous said...

I prefer BOJO's. Food is better and the people that frequent their establishment don't act like they are better than everyone else.
As far as partonizing High Street it is difficult when half the time the stores are closed. In this day and age why make more trips than you have to? Had friends come in from out-of-state and the block party was going on. Went down High Street and almost every store was closed. Not a place they would visit a second time.

Anonymous said...

Ok
I can always drink there.
How bout Monday nite at 8pm
I used to get that treatment at Oar House but I have been there enough so they don't treat me like a transplant
email is mkrull@earthlink.net
Are you goin to Summerfest? We are going to Bridgeton to check it out.

Anonymous said...

Mark,
Wasn't able to make summerfest. Some personal things came up. For some reason, I don't think I really missed anything. I just don't care for the way people who have worked so hard for this community are being treated. It is becoming more obvious that certain people have a personal agenda. And they are willing to sacrafice long term friendships for their own personal gains. Sounds like you and Carolyn had a good time in Bridgeton.
I know these are difficult times but I truly believe alot of other people are getting ready to exit this city. Tax bills just arrived and it is unbelievable.