Monday, February 27, 2006

Business is Business


I was talking with an old friend and he wondered why I did not update my Blog. I said I did not
want to mbarrass myself. He said who is reading it? Good point.. Well I am going to try update
on a daily basis even if I say a sentance.
I am on a list out of University City in ole W Philly and as most of you know I have a pet sitting
gig on the side with a friend of mine. Here is one realitor's dim view of how I promote my business
"Mark, your advertisements are illegal. You could be fined for them, just as PIC was. It was a hefty fine, if I recall - it was PER FLYER, something like $5000. total. They weren't having any success appealing it, either, even though they were advertising something VERY benign, like a plant sale to raise money for preschool scholarships. When I see your advertisements, they upset me, because I can't advertise houses for sale the way you advertise your services. I have to pay for the expensive newspaper ads. Because I follow the law. It makes me not want to recommend you for pet services. It makes the playing field not level: there are the responsible businesses which follow the law and don't post flyers, and then there are the *other* businesses which post flyers, whether they know it's illegal or not. I do tear down any ads - not just yours, but any ads - illegally posted on my block if I happen to see them when I'm walking down the street. But I don't go out of my way to look for them. I'm sure that you are a responsible business person and you wouldn't have been putting up the ads if you'd known that they were illegal."

And I thought I was legit :(

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...bitter realtor, party of one...Sounds very puckered up to me. I certainly would not buy anything from him. And he clearly has way too much time on his hands. Maybe he is a business professor or lawyer wannabe and this is the only way he has to vent? Pretty pathetic any way you look at it...

Anonymous said...

You "thought it was legit" to just hang your ads wherever you felt like it? You must be kidding.

No, you cannot legally decide to use public property as your billboard. This would apply equally to putting bumper stickers on police cars or hanging your signs on the walls of City Hall.

Sure, in the grand scheme of things, your fliers are hardly the crime of the century. Then again, let's suppose every business decided that the poles were fair game. Would there be a single square inch of pole anywhere that wasn't covered by ads for soda, sneakers, impotence drugs and the next "must-have" electronic gizmo?

Anonymous said...

Thank you, anonymous comrade, for your aggressive stance against the legitimacy of, God forbid, posting signs on telephone poles. It's monumentally important that all actions of this nature be policed by city government, lest they spend time focused on issues that are actually... significant. The blogger should probably volunteer for a public flogging, or something.

Remember, if it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.

Anonymous said...

Both you and the Realtor® should post your services on Craigslist. It's free, it doesn't waste paper, and it doesn't pollute the environment.

Anonymous said...

It's businesses like yours that crap up the appearance of a neighborhood. Your flyers are illegal for that very reason.
Take them down and advertise like every other responsible business.

Anonymous said...

If only there had been a pet sitting agency in the neighborhood, I would have bought that house from the realtor, even if she was as uptight as a long-tailed cat in a roomful of rocking chairs. ;-)