Friday, October 17, 2014

Fri. October 17: Memphis to El Paso TX


Elvis was NOT here
Well after 4 hour tour through Tennessee,  we ended up in Memphis. The bus station was like Taj Mahal compared to the Nashville station.
Decent Food Here :)
First off, it wasn't crowded and second, they had an extra little restaurant that served up fruits, muffins and they made sandwiches.
Some Folks I Met on Bus To Dallas
The coffee wasn't bad either once I poured 2 small cartons of 2% milk in the large Styrofoam cup. It is 3:31 AM getting ready to roll and
Gene Going to Texas
set sail for Arkansas and then Texas. Jean and I will take you there through the countryside.
Going to El Paso TX
Well we scooted through Little Rock where we hung out for 15 minutes, and then we stopped
Hot Springs AK
by Hot Springs and Malvern Arkansas. It is now 824 central time we are driving through Arkadelphia
I LOVE This Name. On I-30
Arkansas. You got a love that name Arkadelphia perfect name for a guy who lives in Philadelphia. We are heading in the direction of hope
Near Hope Ark  Home of Bill Clinton
Arkansas which is made famous by Bill Clinton when he ran for president in 1992. Yes I must admit I have not slept very well and the diet
Near I-30
has been a bit half-baked. Though I did eat okay at Memphis bus terminal. The bus terminal was one of
Add caption
the cleanest one I've ever seen.  We are waking to beautiful blue skies here in Hope Arkansas.
Nearing Hope Ark
That's where President Bill Clinton was born. We are 210 miles away from Dallas Texas. So are
Hope Arkansas to Dallas Texas
moving right along on the sunniest day I've seen since early this week. The path is pretty flat here but
Bus Stop at Texarkana Arkansas
we have trees so it's not all that different from other places I've been to so far. Texacanna Arkansas was pretty cool it was chill. I got
I Got a Bite to Eat Here
a chicken sandwich combo with chips and the largest coat that you'll ever see. And I met some nice people who whine hose with pictures with to prove that I'm actually socializing
At Arkansas-Texas Border
. She's from Tennessee I'm not sure were friends from. We are now 162 miles away from Dallas Texas at that point will be switching buses for
Add caption
the last leg of my trip.it's now 10:26 AM I will be in Mesa in 24 hours. Again it's beautiful out
With Amanda and Aljarvar
here and nice and warm and dry not humid at all!! We just made a short pit stop at Mount Pleasant Texas. You can definitely tell that you're in Texas because there are no tall trees and the sky is big and blue. They say everything is big in Texas and in this case the sky
certainly is. We are 110 miles away from Dallas. It is now 11:23 AM central time. I'm going to say hello to a few people on Facebook hit the head
Mt Pleasant Texas
and then maybe take another nap to make up for the lack of sleep. My sponsor called up he said it's beautiful in Philly with a high of 70°. We just drove by Mount Vernon Texas
The Bus to Dallas
and we're probably still about an hour and a half away from Dallas. The scenery is pretty much short
I-30 Close to Dallas
shrubbery trees. The bus is more lively than usual since it is the middle of the day. Also we're running 25 minutes late. Possibly because we stayed
Sulphur Springs
at Texarkana  too long. People are making comments the bus driver with eating. She is a bit large. You're supposed to be at Dallas approximately
Closer to Dallas
1:10 PM. My layover is only till 215 for the bus to Mesa. Our last stop was at sulfur Springs but it was just a drop off one person and pick
My Blog Computer
up one person. That is the story is now 12:13 PM. According to MapQuest we are 58 minutes away from Dallas 62 miles away. Our last stop
Greenville Texas
before Dallas was Greenville Texas and we took a pit stop there I got some coffee and some ice tea and as I am talking here we are
Onward to Dallas
at Rockwell Texas and we're going right to the downtown area on the highway. It's very bright and sunny!
And Rockwell there's a huge reservoir go to Ray Hubbard reservoir it looks like a gigantic lake. And we're crossing over it now on the way to Dallas.
Ray Hubbard Reservoir
There seems to be more traffic here than anywhere else on our trip thus far. We just went by the President George Bush Turnpike. Yes you
YIKES. I am REALLY in Texas
heard that right the Pres. George Bush Turnpike. Actually it does make sense being that we ARE in Texas!!! I did get a picture of it.
Dallas Texas
Well we arrived in Dallas and quickly got on the connecting bus to Abilene with the final destination of Mesa
Greyhound Bus Terminal
. After we launched from but Dallas, we went to Fort Worth where I was able to find a subway stop
More Dallas
right in the transit station where the greyhound station is located. I can tell that being on the
Fort Worth Transit Center
bus this long it's getting to me I was really tired on the way to Fort Worth. Coming back from the subway most people are still on the
Talkitive Women
bus and I discovered a man mice see Courtney got up. I do have loud women in front of me.
Listening to REM
 Every body's been really nice and quiet on the bus and then we have these loud women RIGHT BEHIND the bus
I-20
driver!! UGH!! Well I'm looking to worry about it now I'm going to eat my Subway Italian hoagie and listen to the Moody blues with my headset.
The Remainder of My Trip
They fixed that restroom so it worked. I'm on a different bus now!! it's fine except this bus a lot louder than the other one that I rode from Richmond Va to Dallas!! 
Subway Sandwhich
The gentleman bus driver has a lot more tolerance on these women drivers I had. One w would literally say "turn your music down"
Temps from All Over
even they they had headphones!  They even talk to the guy while he's trying to drive!! ๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก So I'm listening to REM's monster Album
which is nice and loud.
Pat's Squirrel
The Subway sandwich and then tasty lemonade getting me out of my funk I was in for the last half hour. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜œ
We are scheduled
My Shirt and I Just Keep on Truckin
to be at Abilene Texas by 530 according to the Greyhound schedule it is now currently 3:57 PM
and I'm going to take some pictures. Well I killed about an hour because it's approaching 4:43 PM central
A Friend in Prison
time and I've been tuning out to a new REM album called document# 5.
View from I-20
Pat is still having fun with his pet squirrel and I took a picture of it and he's going to put it up on Facebook I bet. Yes I've been sitting here and I could see how somebody driving with get mesmerize because it's flat straight and full of bushes it is almost 5 o'clock right now and we are getting closer to Abilene Texas. I feel pretty good right now I'm going to pee soon. Will document #5 ended now we have tables with the reconstruction playing as the sun
Add caption

Add caption
Add caption

  
Fellow Traviller and  I
i
s starting to set my eyes to the left of me here will be approaching Abilene probably in the next
Freight Along  Interstate 20
5 minutes. I am now seeing small whisps of clouds as we face south and west. The little kids are
 talking & the road just keeps going on and on.. Well we get a break and we're going to stop in Abilene TexasThe only people getting off the bus or getting off for a town called St. Angelo. Then we have a 30 minute
Dude Showing His Heavy Equipment

Roadside Scene
break and we need no boarding pass to get on the bus. They are switching drivers. So we're sort of a nice lucky mall area with places like Walmart and the cracker barrel and the Dairy Queen. Never to miss a chance to get some real food along the strip right near the big sign for Oscars Mexican restaurant is Oscars. I just said that I did

Inside of Oscar's


Mexican Coke @ Ocar's
to get a child size meal instead of a big meal because I ate a Subway hoagie earlier. The woman who served me was very nice to me & the
Look Where the Bus Parked!
dinner came really quickly.I got a Mexican Coke. Mexican Coke uses actual  sugar in it!! Tastes like the
Wind Power All Over
Coke  I had as a kid 40 years ago I'm tried the food out before I went to the
Me and Chatty Guy
bus. It is now 5:49 PM central. Well after Sweetwater the scene return 30 flat and we saw a lot of windmills along the street. I saw some sharecropper shacks and little tiny shrubs beer. The sunset was

I-20
pretty good as well. I am was forgot there are also some rigs pumping for oil . I am hoping with all this food
Near Sweetwater TX
and in my gun I'll be able to sleep for real. I do have a chatty gentleman behind me and some squealing kids
but if I'm tired enough to sleep. My friend from Jackson Tennessee agreed that it look like the road goes
Greyhound Station Big Spring Texas
on forever and ever. Our next stop Big Spring Texas  . Mount it had a very tiny little greyhound stop and
Municipal Auditorum in Big Spring
I got a Coke and a granola bar. What was most notable is the municipal auditorium look like a castle her
Inside Greyhound Station in Big Spring
to church and they have a hotel called the hotel settles. Which looks like it's been there forever. Well this 10 minute pit stop is turned into at least 25 minutes.I don't think
there were hammering something on and there's actually people 
going off and coming on this bus. But I guess that's been fixed up and were starting to move as of        8:14 PM. It is 9:29 PM central time we are just leaving Odessa Texas. In this town they put the bus station next to all
the Carlot and rental car places. Perhaps for close to the airport assuming they have an airport
of course. We are currently 289 miles away from out El Paso. MapQuest says it'll take four hours and
19 minutes deathly take us past midnight tonight.. Well it's 1:08 AM we are on the outskirts of El Paso Texas. I can see the lights to my left.
Previously I think we had nudged Mexico and I got an AT&T message about international roaming charges for about 10-15 minutes. I just got a call from Alice she didn't realize I 
was coming. So I may have to change plans and lengthen my stay since she works during the week. Then she questioned why I moved out of my own place. So there's
that. I'm looking forward to getting a shower and a real bed. . I like listening to the Stone roses it relieves buzz kill. Speaking of odd
things I got a message from AT&T that seemed indicate that I was in a foreign country

"AT&T Free Msg: Welcome abroad! To call the U.S., dial: +1 followed by 10-digit number. Please note intl rates apply.  You may turn off data in device Settings; otherwise, pay-per-use rate of $19.97/MB applies." 
Well I noticed that the bus seems to love life and the bit since we trucked on into El Paso I feel the same way this is very interesting. Well actually
 
I'm sitting here in a 45 minute layover in El Paso. Not much to do here then on my last leg of the trip to Mesa Arizona. I'm tentatively dude be at Mesa by 10 AM today Saturday.

1 comment:

MoonDoggie said...

I like your chronicle of journey. Pictires fantastic as always.